The overall objective of the project is to provide technical assistance in the area of Customs and Taxation in Albania, Bosnia Herzegovina, Kosovo, Serbia and Montenegro in preparing for future EU membership.
In each beneficiary country the results to be achieved are:
- Customs legislation and procedures will be more closely aligned with the acquis communautaire and a full and consistent implementation throughout the whole region will have been achieved. Particular attention is to be paid to rules of origin and administrative cooperation.
- Indirect tax legislation will be further aligned with the acquis communautaire. Progress on direct taxation is also to be attained particularly with the implementation of the Code of Conduct for Business Taxation.
- The administrative capacity to implement Customs and Tax legislation and to combat corruption, fraud and cross-border crime will be further strengthened. Use will be made of the EU Customs and Tax blueprints.
- Transparency and the exchange of information with related agencies in the beneficiary countries, within the region and with EU Member States will be improved in order to facilitate the enforcement of measures preventing the avoidance or evasion of duties and taxes, and to combat corruption and cross-border crime.
- The computerisation of Tax and Customs administrations will have made progress.
In addition to the specific work plan, a number of activities at Regional level have been also implemented in order to promote a regional focus in dealing with customs and tax issues. Regional activities includes benchmarking, 2-3 study visits, 5 regional conferences and events, e-training, legal analysis.
Studiare Sviluppo supported the Italian Customs administration in drafting the Project proposal, the work plan and budget and, during the implementation, was responsible for administrative and logistics support, including during training and visibility events.